Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 00:59:23 +1100
From: "Ding Marcelo" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, December 29, 2000 11:48 PM
Subject: [PCBUILD] Mouse lock-up

> I just assembled a new network PC :
>
> Abit-BF6  BXchipset  Mobo w/ P-III- 550 100FSB CPU
> Apacer PC-133 128MB SDRAM
> Promise Ultra 100 PCI card
> Maxtor Diamond + Ultra 100 15.4GB 7200 RPM hard Disk
> Asustek 50X CD-ROM drive
> Excell NVidia TNT2 M-64 32MB Video card
> Creative PCI -128 sound card
> D-Link DFE-530TX+  NIC card
> MS Intellimouse PS-2 & Elite Natural keyboard
> MS Windows ME  -clean Install
> latest MS Mouseware for ME

Try winMe default Intellimouse support first, even I don't think the
Mouseware is the problem, but it doesn't hurt.

> My PS-2 mouse always lock-up right after system checks the TEAC floppy
> disk drive after Windows ME loads up, and pressing the reset switch in
> the Elan Vital T-10 ATX case will not work and have to disconnect AC
> cord and restart unit after 5 minutes to reboot computer. HELP !!

The reset button should always work, please check the 2pin connection from
the case to mobo. Make sure you push the button "hard", sometimes the button
can be tricky, if you don't push it to the end, it won't work. If it doesn't
work, there are only two possibilities: 1) the 2pin cable is broken/lost
connection with the button, 2) the mobo is broken.

The lock up problem could reflect to many areas. eg the Video card driver
(make sure use latest reference driver), Bad RAM, bad mobo, old version of
DirectX overwrited new DirectX file (eg. badly designed installation
software), SDRAM timing set too fast in BIOS (try to slow it down), system
resource conflict. You may try troubleshoot step by step.
Before troubleshooting, in BIOS, check all setting. (if possible, format the
HDD and install winME only - do not install any driver yet). Also check all
cable connections.
First, try pull out all other cards but only leave video card in, install
Promise driver (latest) only, see if it works. If so
Install reference driver (latest official release v6.31) for your video,
install DirectX 8 only. if it doesn't work, test the RAM first, mobo 2nd.
If it works, add sound card in, use latest driver from www.sblive.com
Add NIC in, ...
Add software one by one, ...

Jun Qian