From:
Jan Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 19:57:36 -0600
* bobwarasila <[log in to unmask]> [020716 19:03]:
> Yes, I'm thinking about taking the plunge but I not familiar with
> Linux (Unix).

If you can, find a few computers running Linux and take a look at
them.  It will give you some perspective.

> What's the learning curve like and will I be able to use existing
> Word and Excel files?

Today, Linux distributions like Mandrake can be managed almost
entirely by GUI applications.  The nice thing about it is that if you
want to, you can use either the graphic applications or the command
line for almost everything, whichever is easier under the
circumstances.

OpenOffice.org 1.0 (now 1.0.1) can read and write Word and Excel files
if you have to.  A better idea is to convert your Word and Excel files
from Microsoft's proprietary format into OO.o or StarOffice or other
open format, and then your data really belongs to you.  You can always
convert it to Word or Excel unless MS makes a tiny change in their
proprietary formats, and in their EULAs to make it illegal to make a
program that will free up your own data.  Could happen.

We've been using OO.o with our junior college students for the past
semester and I am VERY impressed.  Try it ... there's a Windows
version ... you can test it out for free.  AND keep it for free.

> Is the desktop client similar in function to Windows?

Linux has many desktop managers, so you can find one that operates
almost identically to Windows, or different, as you desire.

There are lots of choices of office software, browsers, editors,
development tools, etc., and most are completely free.

There are also a few negatives.  Hardware drivers are sometimes a
problem, because manufacturers always make drivers for Windows but
seldom for Linux, so often someone has to reverse engineer a driver.
This can mean there are no drivers or limited drivers for very new or
very Windows-ish hardware, at least for a while.

It is important to have a Linux geek available to get you through the
rough spots, unless you are very computer-savvy.  Of course, I'd say
the same for Windows, actually.  ;-)

--
Jan Wilson, SysAdmin     _/*];          [log in to unmask]
Corozal Junior College   |  |:'  corozal.com corozal.bz

                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>