From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 17:03:40 -0700
On 25 Aug 99, at 15:34, Eric Wertman wrote:

>   I was working on an older 486 machine for a friend,  actually installing
> one of those y2k bios cards so he could avoid a more expensive upgrade.  I
> installed the card, rebooted to dos and ran a check program just to make
> sure the thing really would work.  Everything went fine, so I powered down
> the machine and rebooted, and now I can't get windows to load from the hard
> drive. The floppy boots fine, and niether scandisk nor norton reports thier
> being anything wrong with the drive. I can also freely access the drive.
>
> I tried to do an fdisk /mbr, didn't help, and I scanned for viruses as
> well, not that either.  Can anyone suggest some things I might try to make
> the disk bootable again?  I didn't change anything in the bios, and the
> disk is detected fine from there.
>
> The disk:  528MB seagate
> The OS: Win95 ( a I believe)
> The bios is an Award 4.50G

  So I take it that if you boot from a floppy, you can access the drive?

  It would be nice if you described what happens when Windows "doesn't
load".  But failing that, here are ywo things to try:

1.  Run FDISK or Partition Magic, and make sure that the C: partition is
marked "active".

2.  Use the "SYS" command to rewrite the boot files on the partition from a
boot floppy.  [Note that it is kind of important that the boot floppy be for
the same OS version as is installed on the drive....]

David G