From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jan 2004 22:54:14 -0800
1.  It's not clear from your message whether both machines are configured to
use the same POP3 email account and password or not.  (That would be the
critical thing here.)

2.  It's also not clear whether, if you wait for a while and successfully
collect with the Dell, the failure moves to the Gateway.  Is that true?

  Many email servers and clients are deliberately vague about specific error
conditions, to avoid giving away hints to strangers trying to hack into a
customer's mailbox.  Unfortunately, this can make it hard to diagnose
certain kinds of problems.
  I've seen an error message similar to what you describe on several
occasions, when although the email client has disconnected, the POP3 server
software either still believes it has a client connected to that mailbox, or
has not fully cleaned up (specifically, has left behind the "lock file"
indicating that the mailbox is in use.
  Either condition should (if that's the problem!) clear up within half an
hour or less -- hence my second question above.

David Gillett

On 3 Jan 2004 at 2:00, Hugh Vandervoort wrote:

> I set up a two computer network in  small office yesterday, and I'm having
> trouble with the dialup connection.
> One is Win 98 on a 2-3 year old Gateway, the other is XP Pro on a new Dell.
> Both will connect to the internet, but only one can retrieve mail using
> Outlook. After I tested the Gateway connection and retrieved the email, I
> disconnected and attempted the same thing with the Dell. Error message is:
> "Username or password rejected". I verified the info and still couldn't
> retrieve email. I suspect this has something with two PCs using the same
> dialup account, but I'm not sure of the solution. Any ideas?

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml