From:
Scott Burr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 17:54:43 -0500
I am running Windows XP Pro SP1 with all Critical Updates installed. Network setup is 2 wired ethernet computers into a LinkSys BEFSR81 Router/Switch and 1 LinkSys WAP54G Wireless-G Access Point connected to the router for my laptop.

When I try to bring up My Network Places on either of my hardwired computers, I get a hesitation and the flashlight symbol appears, then after 10-20 seconds, my list of places shows up. I try clicking on any of my listed locations and a 10-20 second delay occurs followed by this error message:

"My Network Places

PDXPC is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The semaphore timeout period has expired."

Another thing that is happening is that when I try to open a mapped drive from My Computer on the same computers, I get this error message:

"Windows

An error occurred while reconnecting x: to \\xxx\xxxxxxxxxx

Microsoft Windows Network : The local device name is already in use.

This connection has not been restored."

Both hardwired networked computers are on 24/7 and the laptop is on only occasionally. All precautions against hackers (Norton Anti-Virus 2004, Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, SpyBot 1.3, Ad Aware 6.181) run fine on all computers and I can access the internet perfectly well from any of the computers.

Any ideas on how to fix this recurring problem?