From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 10:59:34 -0500
Al:
While Jack has given you a very good introduction to partitioning, he
left out the part about formatting your new partitions. In other words,
if you create new partitions D: and E:, run format D: and format E:.
Don't format your C: partition, though, or you will lose your present
Win installation. Here's a tip: At the end of each format, you'll be
asked to supply a label. I've found it useful to give descriptive names
to each partition such as "Programs", "Archives", etc. You should also
consider using various partition sizes depending on what your usage. For
example, if you download a lot of music files, you could create a really
big partition for them.
One thing that will get messed up is the location of your CD-ROM drive.
It used to be on D:, but now its going to be on the next available
letter (F:). It's been a while since I went through this, and I can't
remember if this causes registry problems; I hope that one of the other
listers will leap in here.
You would do well to go to http://freepctech.com/guides, where there is
some excellent material on partitioning and formatting hard drives.
HTH
Carroll Grigsby