From:
Timchenko Maxim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 14:40:30 +0300
You are proposing an excellent business machine, but probably a bit
too powerful for billing software... I think Celeron 300 or 333 will
do just as well for less... of course you should go with Slot1, because
it allows you to take a clear upgrade... up to P3 if you need.
64 Mb is the min for running win98 - I have 32 now and you don't want
to experience what I do... every day. Anyway. The video probably is
overkill too. You also can salvage the floppy from the P100 and save $.

All of this applies if your concern no.1 is saving money... If you're not
tight-budgeted, the sort of PC you describe is good enough.

<> Max Timchenko [MaxVT]
<>

On Sat, 5 Jun 1999, John Sproule wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I am helping a friend do some shopping for a new computer for her office
> that would primarily have the duty of running some billing software.  This
> would be a stand alone computer for a small office.  The old pentium 100 did
> fine with the DOS version of the software, but it chokes on the windows
> version (only 8mb of ram).  The goal is to find as inexpensive a machine as
> possible, but I would like to recommend something solidly reliable and with
> some possibilities for upgrading later.  She recently upgraded the old
> machine with a new CD ROM and US Robotics internal modem (not the winmodem),
> so the idea would be to transfer over those components and the original
> colorado tape drive to the new computer.
>
> My inclination would be to go for a custom Celoron based system (400mhz)
> using either a BX based socket 370 mb, such as the ABIT BM6 or a regular
> slot one BX motherboard and the adaptor for socket 370 celerons (someone
> suggested a gigabyte mb to use in this manner).  64mb of PC100 SDRAM.  8.4mb
> ultra DMA HDD.  1.44mb floppy drive.  And a Millenium G200 8mb AGP card.

                            The NOSPIN Group
                            http://nospin.com