From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Sep 2006 23:33:07 -0500
Is it toast?  Well, not necessarily.  It could be that the virus - or
whatever - has trashed your hard drive, but an FDISK, reformat, and fresh
o.s. installation will bring the computer back to life.  It all depends on
what the real problem is.

Joyce, I don't know what operating system you have, nor do I know what you
have available as system disks for this computer.  Therefore, as a start, I
will be brief.  I would make a boot disk on a cd or floppy - whatever you
can do and whatever will work with your computer.  Make sure FDISK is on the
boot disk.  Then boot the computer from the boot disk (you will have to
change the cmos (bios) settings to boot from the boot disk) and FDISK the
drive on the 5000.  This will completely erase the hard drive and you can do
a reformat of the drive and a fresh reinstall of the operating system
(assuming that you have the disks to do that; they should have come with the
5000).   Now, the computer will be as good as new and you can use it to do
what you want.  (Once the new o.s. is installed, change the boot disk back
to the hard drive.)

If this is not clear, let us know what operating system was running on the
5000, whether or not you have a disk for reinstalling that operating system,
and where we lost you.  (We can give more detailed instructions.)

Dean Kukral