From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 12:17:40 -0700
On 9 Aug 99, at 21:07, Wayne@Tammy wrote:

> At 10:50 AM 09/08/99 -0700, you wrote:
> >On 8 Aug 99, at 23:08, Wayne@Tammy wrote:
> >
> >> I partitioned it into a 50 MB C: drive, and a 1 GB D: drive, tried
> >> installing Windows 95 on D: , but Windows stalls during the install
> >> process because of problems on the first partition.
> >
> >  Now delete that first partition, so that the 1GB becomes C:, and try
> >installing.
>
> Already tried that, get an error - "Error SU-0013 - Setup could not create
> files on your startup drive and cannot set up Windows".
>
> "If you Have HPFS or Windows NT file system, you must create an MS-DOS
> boot partition.  If you have LANtastic server or SuperStor compression,
> disable it before running Setup. See SETUP.TXT on Setup Disk 1 or the
> Windows CD-ROM".
>
> Tried this with both 95 and 98.  Seems that it wants to install files on a
> primary DOS partition, not extended (at least some files).   I still think
> my only hope is some type of switch that will force FORMAT to continue,
> even if it finds an error, or some type of partitioning software that can
> "remove" the bad section of hard drive.
>
> Thanks for replying, any other ideas would be appreciated.

  I took your original message to indicate that the 1GB D: drive was also a
primary FAT partition.  The error message you report appears to be indicating
that this is not the case.  Is this correct?  If so, try starting over,
creating C: and D: both as primary DOS partitions and formatting them
(FAT16), then delete C: and the install *should* work.

David G

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>