From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 21:48:45 -0400
On Thursday 29 August 2002 07:37 pm, Bob Wright wrote:
> At 12:09 PM 8/29/2002, you wrote:
> >Thank you, but just so I understand what I am doing ;)
> >
> >My C drive (where I have the problem) now has 241 mb free virtual memory.
> >My D drive has 9351 mb
> >My E drive has 1512 mb
> >My F drive has 1929 mb
> >my I drive (external) has -7222mb
> >
> >So do I add virtual memory to my C drive or remove it?
> >
> >Also, it looks like I cannot change it by going to
> >My Computer and right clicking and then
> >clicking on properties.
> >
> >I can access virtual memory but have two choices only: let windows handle
> >it for me or let me.  If I choose let me it only shows me what is in each
> >drive, not anywhere I can change it.  So how can I change it?
> >
> >(I am not able to upgrade yet ;)
> >
> >Karen
>
> Karen,
>
> When Windows is operating and opening programs, it opens temporary
> files regularly.   This requires that there is some limit placed on the
> amount of free space you maintain on the 'C' drive, I usually recommend
> several hundred megs.  If you have a large application installed on your C
> drive, such as MS Office, you might consider uninstalling it and then
> reinstalling it to a different drive.  That is the easiest way to solve
> your problem with space.  Remember that these temporary files are different
> from Virtual Memory or the Swap file.
>
> Virtual memory is a file that Windows creates on a hard drive to swap out
> data from ram memory when you run low on ram memory.  This file, called a
> Swap File, can reside on any hard drive.   When you state that "it shows
> you the space available on the other hard drives if you choose to manage
> your virtual memory," this is the point where you can click on one of those
> other drives, such as the D drive.  Windows will stop creating the swap
> file on your C drive and create one on your D drive when you reboot the
> system.  This too is an excellent solution to your problem.  Windows needs
> a swap file to run at optimal speed and it expands and contracts as Windows
> needs extra memory.
>
>      Bob Wright
> The NoSpin Group, Inc
> http://freepctech.com - http://nospin.org

Bob:
I've always used a fixed swap file size -- typically 2X RAM. The reasoning
behind this is that Windows won't waste time looking for space and other
overhead activities every time that it wants to write to the swap file. If
this is still valid advice, then Karen should set up a fixed swap file on her
D: partition.
Regards,
Carroll Grigsby

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: