Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 08:01:12 -0500
Hello Peetie,

A hardware firewall is 'nice to have' but is not required for you to be
reasonably secure. A hardware firewall is limited somewhat in that it will
only protect you from incoming threats. A software firewall, on the other
hand,  protects both ways, incoming and outgoing. If you have the Kerio
Personal Firewall you should be in good shape. The important thing about
outgoing traffic from your computer is that you don't want anything to
access the Internet without your knowledge and permission.

In addition to the other protection you listed, I recommend the following.
More information is available on the Web sites. Needless to say, check for
updates on a regular basis:

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta):

SpywareBlaster 3.4

I would also compare the SBC offer to what your telephone company offers.
SBC may have the better deal but since they have to use the telephone
company's lines, etc., it doesn't cost anything to check. You've probably
noticed the ongoing discussion of DSL vs. cable so don't dismiss cable as an
option if it's available in your area. Either way, you're going to like it
better than dial-up. Good luck.

Sven Swanson, Sr.