From:
Larry Fisk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 May 2002 07:10:56 -0600
Al;

The USB Faq at http://www.usb.org/faq/ans5.html#q2
says, the limit for cable length is 5 meters (a little under 16 feet 5
inches).
For a low speed device the limit is 3 meters (9 feet 10 inches).

Question 3 on that page explains why you can't use a longer cable:

"USB's electrical design doesn't allow it. When USB was designed,
a decision was made to handle the propagation of electromagnetic fields on
USB
data lines in a way that limited the maximum length of a USB cable to
something in the range of 4m."

So it sounds like maybe a 10 foot extension may be about the limit.

<>< Larry Fisk
         Fisk Computers
           Fruitvale, Idaho