Date:
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 20:20:09 +1000
You did and did not get me wrong.  you have to find the post I was refering
to.  a list member (sorry I forgot your name) asked if I used any "newer"
ATA133 drives from Maxtor, so I just pointed out that ATA133 isn't really
faster than ATA100 and drives from Maxtor cannot stand against WD and IBM on
performance.  The compare is unfair, since Maxtor has no top of the line
drives to compare with WD, but what could I do? I can't have fast drive from
Maxtor after I've test all Maxtor drives available (in Australia, if there
is newer in the US that is not available in OZ, please let me know). the
lastest from Maxtor is still slower than WD "JB".

If we just compare the price, you may get 7200rpm drive from Maxtor, and the
same price may only get you a 5400rpm drive from WD on same capacity, in
this "economy" term, Maxtor wins.  However, the origional post was on
performance side if I wasn't misunderstanding.

buffer size doesn't mean everything, IBM drives only have 2mb buffer as
well, but they can keep up with WD with 8mb buffer.

Sorry I created the confussion.

Jun Qian