From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 08:04:41 -0800
  The install disks I've used will look for an existing Windows
installation.  If they find one, they'll offer the opportunity to update
that existing installation, retaining not only data but installed
applications as well.  You're not required to take that opportunity; if you
install to a new folder instead, your data and program files will still be
there, but none of the registry keys that tell Windows about your installed
applications.
  (If you have the install format the partition, then even the files will be
gone.)

David Gillett

On 10 Jan 2007 at 21:11, Diane Kroeckel wrote:

> I have a regular MS disk, not an upgrade, not oem.
>
> Diane Kroeckel
>

> On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 11:45:09 -0500 Richard Glazier
> <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> > It depends on what type or re-install type of disk it is (MS or
> > OEM?)
> > and what they built-in to the disk.  SOme of the older OEM ones
> > (from
> > the large OEMs, liked to wipe out everything...
> >
> > Side Note: Even MS has been known to do this on occassion...
> > At the Intel R2R road show, I got a disk that was a beta of Vista,
> > and the warning was -- it would automatically format your HD!!!
> >
> >                                             Rick Glazier
> >
> > From: "Diane Kroeckel"
> > >I was wondering if I reinstall XP Pro on my system, will it delete
> > > everything, or just install over my stuff and I'd have to
> > reinstall my
> > > programs, but my data would still be there.  Naturally I'd back
> > up
> > > everything first anyway.  Like a nondestructive install, or a
> > destructive
> > > install.
> >
> >                   Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
> >                articles, how-to's, tech tips and much more
> >                           http://freepctech.com

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml