From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 14:29:09 -0500
I have a computer with an MSI 875-Neo motherboard and a Pentium 2.8
processor.

It does not start.  I checked the switch by shorting the leads and it did
not start, so I do not think that it is the switch.

I checked the power supply by disconnecting it from the motherboard and
shorting the green and black wires, and everything seemed to run ok;  I am
not sure exactly what should run and what should not, but the power supply
and system fans came on, and I think that the hard drives spun up.  Of
course, it could be short on power, but it is an expensive PC Power and
Cooling 400 ATX power supply, so I doubt that the power supply is the
problem, even though it is fairly old.

That pretty much leaves the motherboard and cpu as the possible culprits.

Normally when I have this kind of problem I just replace the mb/cpu/memory
all at one time - saves a lot in the long run.  But this mb, cpu, and memory
(Crucial PC 3200, 2 by 512MB)  is quite expensive and modern (only a year
old), so I would prefer to just replace the mb, keeping the memory which is
likely good and hoping that the cpu is still good.

I solicit the opinions of those experienced in these matters.  TIA for any
advice.

As a matter of record, I have two WD 36Gig SATA Raptors and a Crucial Video
Card with a Radeon 9700, as well as floppy drives, cd reader, memory stick
reader, etc.

TIA

Dean Kukral

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: