From:
Gordon McFarland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 2002 23:40:34 -0500
Hi

I copied this from the Langa List at www.langa.com

hope this helps

TTYL
Gordon

Lost Your CD ROM Access?

      Dear Fred, I ran into a problem in windows XP that apparently,
according to the Microsoft
      newsgroups, many more people are having.

      I attempted to install a cd burner in my xp machine, and in the
process, windows xp
      decided it no longer wanted to recognize either my cd-rom or burner
as working hardware.
      After a long and trying day or changing my cd-rom's setups from
master, to slave, to ide1
      to ide2, and still ending up with conflicts in the device manager as
having conflicts in both
      (even though xp did see them as new hardware and installed drivers
for both), they did not
      show up in explorer or my computer (but did show up in the bios), I
finally sought out help
      from others in the Microsoft newsgroups and found my answer.

      It seems that, if you had recently uninstalled a copy of roxio's cd
creator in win xp, that
      registry settings from that program are left behind in the registry,
and renders your
      cd-rom/and or burner un-usable.

      A fix for this problem is available in this bulletin

http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314060 .

      Granted, it involves going into the registry and deleting two items,
which can be intimidating
      and dangerous if not done correctly.... Keep up the great work with
your newsletter, it is
      greatly appreciated! Sincerely, Bruce Dunbar

 Wow, Bruce, thanks. I've been getting mail on the mystery of lost CD
access, and had it
 on my to-do list to try to track down an answer. You beat me to it! 8-)

 The title of the Knowledgebase article says it all: "CD-ROM Access Is
Missing and
 Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, or Code 39 After You Remove
Easy
 CD Creator in Windows XP." If that's the problem you're having, Bruce
found your
 answer.

 Make a backup first ( http://www.langa.com/backups/backups.htm ) and you
then can
 edit the registry without worry, because you can restore your system to
its previous state
 if something goes wrong.