From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 18:28:53 -0800
What is a "coast module"?

A few years ago it was common practice for motherboard manufacturers to put
the cache memory on a card that plugged into a slot which was usually
parallel to the CPU socket. This is called a Coast Module. The idea was
that you would be able to easily upgrade your cache memory from 256k to
512k. A cache of 256K will handle up to 32 megs of ram...which was
considered a lot of RAM in 1995. In 1994 I paid $142  for four megs of
Micron 72 Pin 70ns Fast Page Mode no parity ram. As memory prices plummeted
and PC manufacturers began offering increasing amounts of ram with entry
level PCs;  motherboard manufactures began putting 512K or more cache ram
on all motherboards and now a desktop PC with 64 megs of physical ram is
not uncommon.

>This 150 is not overclocked. What is a "coast module"? I am getting the
>impression it might be the Award Bios chip. I will try your suggestions.
>Phillip Haveard

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html