From:
Venkat Viswanathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Aug 2006 22:51:32 -0400
Tom's post (clipped)

<<<< Sat, 22 Jul 2006 21:55:39 -0400

<<<<Any help on installing an OS on a laptop with a HD that has been partitioned
and formated would help.>>>>>

<<<< Sat, 29 Jul 2006 08:46:15 -0400

Subject:      Win98SE only finds a default monitor

<<<<I have an old Dell Latitude CPi laptop. The Win98SE set up program only
recognized a default monitor. This only gives me 16 colors. Tried to install new
hardware thinking the computer would see and install the correct monitor but
that did not work. Can contact Dell to see what monitor is installed in my
laptop but thought someone here might have a simple answer.

Thanks,

Tom >>>>

Hi to all,

if i am correct in relating the above two posts it would appear that the o/s was
successfully installed.

i have run into a similar problem and would appreciate any help.

(1) hp pavillion N 3150. very old and somehow got loaded with win 98 AND 95.
has a hitachi hdd and teac cdrom. not swappable.

(2)downloaded hitachis disk fitness test tool, erased the hdd. with a win 98 se
boot disk partitioned/formatted the whole capacity (4.6 gigs) into one drive.

(3)some reasearch threw up (a) a combination of panasonic and motto hairo
USB/DOS drivers (b)iomegas usb boot disk.

(4) got hold of a very cheap chinese external usb case/ put the cd
drive/connected/powered up

(5)tried the panasonic/motto hairo boot disk first. usb support enabled (drive
not loaded) cdrom support enabled (cdrom not loaded) then went through a series
of steps where i could see ohci controller initialised/ cdrom make model
detected (LG CRD 8322B)/DRIVER INSTALLED/ and ultimately came up with

" available ID= NO INSTALLABLE DEVICE FOUND"

(6) so after all this it was not possible to access the cdrom drive!!!!

(7) next tried the iomega boot disk. all went well. usb detected/cdrom
model/make detected/ INSTALLED/ but finally came up with

" iomega guest.exe manager finding a drive letter for your usb cdrom driver...
no drive letter ADDED."

(8)so hereagain could not access the usb cdrom

(9) in frustration disconnected the usb ext.case and put in my old AVG flash
drive.

(10) SURPRISINGLY both boot disks identified the flash drive/installed / drive
letter "E"

(11) A:\ DIR E: directory encrypted /volume label/ free space.

(12) made sense since the flash drive was password protected and i could open it
in my win 98 pc and access the contents

NOW THE QUESTION: the avb flash drive needs the drivers to be installed in win
98 before it could be installed. how does these two boot disks install without
the drivers? (because of DOS mode?) the cdrom needs only generic drivers which
all boot disks install and so why this problem in not being able to access the
drive?

(13) the option is to copy the win 98 folder to the flash drive in my pc and
proceed from there. BUT this is a drive of 64MB bought in 2002 when they had
just come out and prices were sky high at that time.

so wodering what to do next short of going in for a 1 gig flash drive or
throwing away the hp pavillion which in any case has only 64 mb ram.

thought i will revive and keep back ups.

sorry for the very lengthy post and really will appreciate help if any is
possible----Venkat