From:
Richard Knorr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 00:56:59 GMT
Does the $10.00 a month get you a second IP address?
IF so then Roadrunner support should be able to give you support since
they are providing you with a network.

My guess for what happens when things are working correctly is as
follows:
1. The PC (either primary or secondary) powers up. When the network
software is initialized in your OS (win9X or NT) it should issue a
DHCP request. This brings us to the first check you should make, look
in Start, setting, control panel, networks under the protocol TCPIP
you should be obtaining the settings automatically.
2. The DHCP server at Roadrunner (here is where the magic starts that
I'm not sure of how it works) sees the address of your cable modem and
the DHCP server knows that it is allowed to provide two IP addresses
to this single cable modem.

If I am correct and your network configuration has not changed then
the problem is at Roadrunner.
I just called Time-Warner and confirmed the above.

I would suggest that you drop the second IP address and set up your
primary PC with a personal firewall that will allow you to share an IP
address.

On 6/18/00, 4:45:28 PM, Richard Lumley <[log in to unmask]> wrote
regarding [PCBUILD] Networking Problem:

> I am having a problem with 2 networked computers being online at the
> same time. I got hooked up to Time Warner Roadrunner about 10 days
ago.
> A service man did my networking and everything worked fine for about a
> week. A few days ago my secondary computer wouldn't connect to the
> internet. I have a 5 port ethernet hub. I come out of the cable modem,
> into the hub. I then use 2 ports to hook to the primary and secondary
> computers. I can bypass the hub, hook directly into the cable modem
and
> the secondary computer connects. I can hook the primary computer
> directly into the cable modem and that works. I just can't run both
> computers online at once. When I run thru the hub, the primary
computer
> is always online, but the secondary computer won't go online. Just
keep
> getting a check server message. I think it must be something in the
> network settings on the secondary computer. My son uses this and I
don't

> know if something got changed or not. Roadrunner will not give me any
> support on networking, even thought I pay $10.00 a month for the 2nd
> computer.
>      I only want to use the computers for internet sharing, not file
and
> printer sharing.
> Primary Computer:
> 450 Compaq Pentium lll
> windows98

> Secondary Computer:
> 166 Compaq
> windows98

> Ethernet Hub:
> Linksys 5 port ethernet hub

> Thanks for any help you can give me:
> Richard Lumley

>         The NOSPIN Group provides a monthly newsletter with great
>        tips, information and ideas: NOSPIN-L, The NOSPIN Magazine
>              Visit our web site to signup: http://nospin.com

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html