From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 22:16:58 -0800
Although I like building computers, with the current prices it does not make
sense unless a high end machine with lots of modifications is
needed/desired. Most of the build-it-yourself components come with a 90 day
to 1 year warranty and the builder is responsible for labor. Most new
computers come with a minimum 1 year warranty on the complete machine. With
your intended use, you do not need a high end machine.

I would look at an "emachine" with a 2.93+/- Celeron (or equivalent AMD),
512MB of RAM, 100+/-GB hard drive, minimum 17" CRT monitor, 64MB (shared)
onboard video with ability to add a video card, onboard Ethernet and sound,
and Windows XP. If your going to use dial-up, you will need a modem. This
configuration would probably cost less than $400 to purchase retail and
about $500 to build.

Just my thoughts. Good luck. Sorry it took so long to respond.

Tom Mayer