From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 20:46:32 -0400
A dos program sends output to a hardware address, typically by calling a dos
function so that it can reference the hardware address via the 'lpt?' alias.
You need to know what lpt (1,2,or 3) the dos program is configured for, then
select your windows printer's properties, details, and click capture printer
port.  Choose the port (1 to 9) you want to capture, and for path choose the
printer where you want it to print.  This tells windows to watch for calls
to the dos or bios function and interrupt them, taking the request and
sending it to the windows printer.  You do not have to tell windows when you
install a printer that you use it with dos.  Following the above
instructions achieves the same setup.  Now, your dos program has to be
configured for a printer that your lexmark can emulate.  Typically I
configured dos programs for HP 3 and 4 lasers, HP deskjets and epson
deskjets.  I have had good results with fonts and spacing.  If you send raw
text to the lexmark, your columns and tabs won't line up, and you won't be
able to compress print.

There is an old old trick for using fonts in dos.  Usually the printer
command to load a resident printer font is really short, 4 to 8 characters.
You make a data field that contains that command, and you embed the field in
the beginning of every report header.  Its the first thing sent to the
printer, and it sets the printer up for the rest of the report.  For
printing tabs and columns, pick a fixed pitch font.  This worked very well
for converting dot matrix printer reports for laser printers.
Tom Turak