From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 15:09:16 -0400
At 3/29/00 07:04 PM -0600, Earl Truss wrote:

>Depends on what you want your backup system to do for you.  The three
>major contenders are removable drives like the Zip drive, CD-RW and
>tape.

I have a contender for a fourth type backup that I use all the time.  I use
an external parallel port hard drive with Ghost software.  It has the
advantage of being portable, can fit the entire hard drive contents, can
restore my entire hard drive, or file by file with Symantec's Ghost
Explorer, and is cheap.  I use one of the DataTank external hard drive
boxes that has a DOS driver.  My 3 gig hard drive takes about 45 minutes to
make a complete copy in the Fast Compression mode. I use a DOS boot disk
with the hard drive driver and can then use the hard drive as if it were
installed in my machine. Something else to consider.

Doug

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, David Jonathan Justman wrote:

> > > I'm picking out a new system.  When I told the salesman that I
>wanted
> > > a Zip drive for backups, he recommended a CD writer instead.  What
> > > does everyone here think?  What are the pros and cons of each?

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html