From:
"Joel M. Blackman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 20:03:58 -0700
I'd start with ctrl/alt/delete to see what's running at startup. I am
assuming he's running Win 98.  If it shows 1998 Super Win Software he should
highlight it and click "end task" to see what happens. If he can't identify
what's running then highlight and end task everything that is running except
for "systray" and "explorer". That may give him his desktop back.  If it
doesn't he can do start/run and type in msconfig.  Go to the startup tab and
scroll down until he finds "1998 Super Win Software" and uncheck the box
next to it. Click apply and OK.  When it asks if he wants to restart now
click no.  Then close msconfig. Do start/run and type in SFC for the system
file checker.  Run it to see if a system file "setup.dll" is corrupted,
deleted.  If it is he can restore it from the installation disk for Win 98.
After that do a restart and see what happens. It is definitely not the blue
screen of death!  If it shows up on the restart, go to control panel,
add/remove programs and uninstall it.  That's how I would start, and if that
didn't work I'd call Compaq's tech support.  I would fool with it some more
but I'd have to know more.

Subject: [PCBUILD] Laptop with "Blue Screen of Death"?

I don't know if this qualifies as *the* BSD, grin, but it sounds close.  One
of our folks has a laptop (Compaq 1580 series) that has been giving him
fits.  When he first boots up, he gets a blue screen with no background
image that used to be there.  Instead, in the upper corner of the blue
screen, it says "1998 Super Win Software".  In order to get rid of this
screen, he must reboot with CTL, ALT DEL.  He can get to his menu bar, but
that's the only way he can access programs now.  Icons are gone off the
desktop (there is no more desktop).  He mentioned that, when he first
started having trouble, he got the error message "Setup.dll not found" but
doesn't even get that any more.

Any thoughts on what to do?

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com