Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 18:54:51 EST
On 30 Dec 2003 at 11:57, David Gillett wrote:

>   I've been rebuilding my Windows 98 SE machine, and I seem to have hit a
> snag.  I'm using a Tyan Tsunami (S1484?) motherboard with a 400 MHz PII and
> 384 MB of RAM, with the following expansion cards:
>
> AGP:    empty
> PCI 1:  Matrox Mystique w/ Rainbow Runner
> PCI 2:  Maxtor (Promise) ATA-133 controller
> PCI 3:  3x USB 2.0, 2x FireWire
> PCI 4:  Pinnacle PCTV
> PCI 5:  empty, overlaps with ISA 1
> ISA 1:  empty, overlaps with PCI 5
> ISA 2:  empty
>
>   That configuration works, except that there's no sound
>   When I add an SBLive 5.1 card in PCI slot 5, Windows 98 SE detects it and
> tries to configure it, and hits a blue screen in a VXD called "NTKERN".
>
>   Checking the CMOS setup, I seem to see that PCI slots 1 & 5 share the
same
> IRQ "priority", and I suspect that this is a clue.
>
>   I've tried disabling ACPI, which forced Windows to re-detect everything,
> but did not solve the problem.

David, I don't know if this will help but I recently read an article in a
special issue of MaximumPC that gives a tip on freeing up unused resources. I
don't know if your computer has parallel or serial ports, or if you are using
either one but have you tried disabling one or both of them in the BIOS to free
up IRQ's? Usually serial ports use IRQ 4 (COM 1) and IRQ 3 (COM 2) and parallel
ports use IRQ 7 by default. It may not be the same on your system but you can
see what they are in the System Information program in the Programs,
Accessories, System Tools area of your computer. You can manually reassign some
devices to use the unused IRQ's if there are too many on one. Or have you tried to
rearrange what devices are in what slots? Hope this is more help than headache.
Actually I'm rather curious myself as I plan to install the same type card in
my PC. Different mobo, but all of my PCI slots will be taken at that point
and I don't plan on using the remaining ISA slot (which shares resources with
the number 4 PCI slot)

Chris Ryan

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>