From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jan 2001 09:13:31 -0500
> Edna Sloan wrote:
>
> Have a CD burner, Memorex 1622 ( 2x2x6), made by Wearnes.
> For some reason it quit detecting CDs. . . . I use Nero 5
> software and have burned more than 100 CD-Rs with no
> problem.  . . . . Any suggestions appreciated.

Edna:

I found that when I upgraded the burner software, the Memorex CDR drive
wouldn't properly work. The drive worked when I "downgraded" back to EASY
CD CREATOR 3.5 Pro.

My limited experience (I have owned IDE Memorex, IDE Sony, IDE HP, and a
SCSI Yamaha) is that you cannot blithely switch burner software
nowithstanding the software makers' puffing... The more proprietary the
drive, the less backward  and foreward compatible the software, even among
versions of the same hardware and software. I found Sonys and JVCs (HiVals)
work best with the software that came with the drives. Others required a
patch or specific software version from Adaptec (I've not used Nero).

I've found SCSI hardware better supported by burner software, although
Windows 98 may sometimes have problems with ASPI drivers.

Also, burners can be fussy about the CDR blanks used. I found Sonys and
Imations (and the brands included for use with the particular drives) work
best.

Regards,

John Chin