From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 08:56:49 -0700
USR use to have a number in the USA for a BBS that you could call and it
would test your line to see if it would support 56K.

However I haven't seen anything like it since. The phone company in the USA
will tell you that they only support voice issues...not data. In the USA
the only way you will get them to come out and check the lines is if you
tell them you are getting a lot of static on your voice line.....and even
then you will have to bug them a lot. The only other thing you can check is
the line from the building junction box....there should be a drop line from
the pole, or a underground feed to a junction box on the building. If you
can run a temporary phone line to the junction box you can see if your
building wiring is OK. Beyond that, there is not much you can do unless you
want to purchase professional line testers like the phone company might use.

But it sounds like your problem my be  brand one...your new modem isn't
performing as well as your old one
The old hardware based USR and Zoom modems did very well with poor line
conditions and you may want to check one of the auction sites to see if you
can pick one up.

Mark Rode
The NOSPIN Group

>So my question now is, are there any way that I can use to determine the
>level of noise on my phone line, either software or hardware? Or, do you
>guys have any idea on how to construct a device for that purpose? A
>URL/pointer to a circuit diagram would be nice.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml