From:
Len Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jul 1998 13:17:23 +0100
>> 14)  UART 2 Mode - Standard, HPSIR, ASKIR
>
>  Many modern motherboards allow the second UART (COM2) to be
>re-routed, from the 9-pin or 25-pin electrical connector, to a
>connector for an infrared transceiver.  Yours apparently supports two
>different infrared standards.

Three standards: from my Dell portable
1) I use IrDA to print transparently to a HP LaserJet 5P
 or 6P printer - easy-peasy;
2) I disable the IrDA driver and use Hyperterminal and
 XMODEM to exchange files with my HP200LX palmtop which
 uses HP Serial Infra Red protocol - no problems; and
3) I am unsuccessful in talking to my Sharp Zaurus which
 uses Sharp ASK Protocol - though I have managed to receive
 some valid characters.

I found a Sharp ASK Protocol Description
amongst the Newton info at
http://www.dstc.edu.au/AU/staff/ (continued on new line)
david-arnold/newton/sharp-ask-protocol.html

Len Warner <[log in to unmask]> WWW Pager http://wwp.mirabilis.com/10120933