From:
Len Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 11:12:43 +0100
>I have two spare hard disk modules for my Dell portable
>and I want to boot from a Win95 Startup disk and install
>OSR2, NT or Linux from CD to an empty HD.
>
>Problem is I can't get the drivers right to provide
>PCMCIA SCSI support in dos so I can see the CD drive.

After _much_ struggle, I've managed to install the Win95 version
of Adaptec CardWizard to the Dell temporarily and
copy the necessary files to my Win95 Startup disk.

I can now see my CD, and a 2GB HD and Zip drive too!
Suddenly life is very much easier :-)

Now I can get on with the interesting job
of installing WinNT and Linux.

Final working version of config.sys is given below:
any further comments welcomed.

System is Dell Latitude XPi P133 32MB, 810MB HD clean formatted
PCMCIA slot 0: Adaptec 1460 SlimSCSI
External SCSI chain: 32x CD-ROM, 2GB HD, Zip Plus

config.sys is...
rem SystemSoft CardWorks(TM) PCMCIA drivers:
devicehigh=SSVADEM.EXE /SKT:2
devicehigh=CS.EXE /POLL:1
device=CSALLOC.EXE
devicehigh=ASPI2DOS.SYS /D /PCMCIA /Z
devicehigh=ASPIDISK.SYS
devicehigh=ASPICD.SYS /D:SCSICD
device=display.sys con=(ega,,1)
country=044,850,country.sys

autoexec.bat contains the line...
LH MSCDEX.EXE /D:SCSICD /V /L:L

Len Warner <[log in to unmask]> http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~len/ ICQ:10120933

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**