From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 11:05:01 -0400
Another possible benefit is that some computer clubs (and some individuals
as a hobby) have established "wireless zones" in areas of some major US
cities.  The idea is that a hobbyist will get broadband service and then
put his antenna where folks outside can receive the signal.  Usually these
zones are in municipal parks or other areas where people sit and relax.

For example, in New York City there are several free zones:

http://www.nycwireless.net/

Other cities and clubs are starting to establish such zones.

With the relatively low cost of the wireless PCMCIA cards and some newer
laptops having the wireless built in, I would seriously consider getting it
if I did extensive travel to large cities.

Doug