From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 00:59:53 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Nowicki <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tuesday, November 24, 1998 11:40 AM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] [PCSOFT] Extremely slow PC

>In a message dated 11/24/98 12:21:17 AM Pacific Standard Time,
>[log in to unmask] writes:
>
><< I have the same kind of problem with a new built machine. The only
common
>point is
> the hard drive (WD) and the Operating System. (PII 333, 16 mb) When I chek
in
>My
> Computer...then, properties....  Performance Tab, it say <Compatibility
mode
>paging
> reduces overall system performance > then <drive c: using MS-DOS
>compatibility>,
> the same message appears for all the drives (including CD-ROM drive).
> Then on the Device Manager tab, there is a yellow exclamation mark under
the
>title
> <Hard disk controller> beside <primary ide controller (single FIFO)>.
> So what to do?
> Thank you.
>
> Fabio Di Tomasso
>  >>
You said this was a new built computer.  You did not mention which chipset
you have on the computer but since you have a 333 MHz CPU, it must be an LX
or BX chipset.  Both of these chipsets came out after Win95 so the operating
system does not have the bus mastering drivers for the chipset on the
motherboard.  You will need to go to Intel and get the update for the bus
mastering drivers for your chipset.  Here is the URL for the location of the
updates for Win95/Win98 bus mastering drivers:
http://developer.intel.com/design/pcisets/drivers/inf_update.htm
Because the operating system can't identify the chipset your drives would be
using MS Dos compatibility mode.

Mary Wolden

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html