From:
Rob Cilia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 11:48:28 -0600
Can anyone provide instructions on how to test a power supply using a
multimeter.  The power supply (astec model aa20610, max.cont.power 145w - no
powerhouse by any standards but neither is the pc that it comes from)is most
likely a goner as the pc will no longer power up, post, power supply fan
doesn't start, etc. The power source is fine as I can power up other pc's. I
have a multimeter available but have never used one and would like some/any
instructions if you've ever done this before.  My multimeter is a simple
analog meter with black & red connectors, no digital read out. (Should I
turf it and get a digital multimeter? I rec'd this one through my a+ class
but we never really used it during the class or anytime afterwards).  It has
a DCV section with settings from 0.25 to 500, ACV section with settings from
10 to 500, Resistance section settings from x10 to xK, DCmA settings from
0.25 to 500.  I don't have any plans on repairing the power supply, I have
ordered a replacement and can change that without any help but I would like
to learn how to test electrical component to see what I should be looking
for when a component does fail.  Even if you don't have instructions but
know of a good website which may provide this info let me know.  I've
searched but there's a lot out there.  Any help would be appreciated.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com