From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 2008 02:48:53 +1000
William wrote:
>I feel that maybe my registry is the problem.
>I used a registry cleaner a couple weeks ago and I think that is when the
>problem began.>>

System Restore includes registry backups, and will restore the registry if
you don't have separate registry backups.

Most good registry cleaners also by default make registry backups before
they clean---check the cleaner you used to see if this is the case.

(There's really no such thing as a "good" registry cleaner, in my view.
They are superficial at best, and rarely result in any better
performance.  The only effective way to keep a clean registry is by a
system of registry backups using ERU).

I doubt though that it will fix your problem. Actually, I'm not clear from
your letter exactly what the problem is. Are you saying that the new drive
worked OK in the HP before you cleaned the registry? Has it ever worked on
this computer?  If not, maybe you need to check the bios to see if it is
recognised. If your other computers are HP, compare their bios settings. If
they aren't HP, this mightn't help much, as HP's use mostly proprietary
parts which may not translate to your other computers.

Don Penlington

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads