From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2005 12:24:25 -0500
I did a quick Google on that error message and it looks like it can be any
number of things, from software to hardware problems.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmd_stp_hwpg.asp
(this is one long URL, so you may need to cut and paste)

http://www.tweaksforgeeks.com/IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.html

Since you can't swap memory, maybe try MemTest86 to see if it comes up with
any errors, though it could also come up with an error if the problem is
with the processor or chipset.  Still this would point more to a hardware
than a software problem, since MemTest86 runs from a bootable disk.

Prime95's torture test should bring up this error (or one of its own) in a
hurry, even under safe mode, if the problem is heat related, I would think.

You said it generates this message before the boot screen, but I'm not clear
which one you mean, since you seem to be able to get into safe mode.

John Sproule