From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 11:38:29 -0500
From: Irena Thomas :Subject: [PCBUILD] PCI-to-PCI Bridge conflict

> Dear Listers,
>  On a dell dimension xps D233 with STB Velocity 128 video adapter when I
> look under STB Velocity 128 Properties/Resources I see "Conflicting Device
> List" with PCI-to-PCI Bridge and some memory ranges listed.
>
> How can I eliminate those conflicts ?  The 'use automatic settings' under
> STB Resources is checked.
>
> The OS is Win95B, 96Mb RAM (upgraded from the original 32Mb). I downloaded
> and installed the new driver for STB.
> The computer is prone to fatal exceptions OE - especially during
> copy/paste from/to different applications (netscape, pine, WP8). It is too
> early to say if the new video driver improved the system stability.
>
> Irena.
> ------

Irena,

I had a similar problem with Win95B and an HP scanner.  Win95B assigned
resources to it that were already in use when the "use automatic settings"
box was selected.  I had to deselect "use automatic settings" and then
select settings that were not in use and that the HP scanner would accept
before I could get it working.  You might try selecting the settings your
self.  When you deselect the "use automatic settings" , the grayed out
"Settings Based on" selection becomes available.  Sometimes other options
are available in the "Basic Configuration 0000" pull down menu.  If there
are no other settings available there or the other "Basic Configuration
settings" still have conflicts then you can select the offending settings
under "Resource Type", then click the "Change Setting" button to scroll
through your choices.  In the "Conflicting device list" box you will see if
new setting has any conflicts.

I am assuming that the computer did not come from Dell with this problem.
Did you change anything before the problem started.  Many people have
preferred the NVidia drivers for the STB Velocity 128.  They can be found at
http://www.nvidia.com/Products.nsf/htmlmedia/software_drivers.html .  Have
you updated the BIOS since you got the system.  The current BIOS for the
Dell DXXX is A09.

Mary Wolden

         The NOSPIN Group Promotions is now offering the NOSPIN
        File Download CD, Abit's Gentus Linux, Linux Power CD and
      the RedHat Linux CD.  All CDs are always provided at COST!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions