From:
Brad Boutwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 12:25:20 -0500
EIDE would be the obvious choice since (I assume) you don't have a SCSI
card, which the only other interface you could go with.  The Deskstar line
from IBM is on the top of my list also, however The DiamondMAX line from
Maxtor is my current favorite.  I am running their 20 GB 7200 RPM EIDI drive
that I caught on sale at CompUSA for only $349...best drive I have ever had
that isn't SCSI.

You might want to stick with a 5400 RPM drive though, as a P100 isn't going
to show *substantial* gains in speed from a 7200 drive.  Odds are that your
you MOBO can accept up to the 233 MMX which would show a signifgant amount
of speed, allowing you have the RAM to go with it.

As for the graphics card, the original TNT sounds perfectly suited for you.
IT rocks in games, has 16 MB of RAM and is available in a PCI slot...which
you would need.  You can order an OEM Creative Labs TNT card for around $70.
Check www.pricewatch.com

Hope this helps,

Brad Boutwell
BDB Graphics
Tulsa, OK

**************

I will soon be looking at buying myself a nice new 2D/3D Graphics Card. Its
for a home computer so no high end CAD will be used :-)
I do alot of web design, watch movies, and play some 3D games...but I'm not
a hardcore gamer so I'm not looking for the ultimate gaming experience but I
would like something that will last more than say 2-3hrs before becomming
obsolete :-)

Also I'm running a fairly old system which I don't intend to upgrade just
yet but I need a bigger HD, its a P100 thats about 3-4yrs old and uses EIDE,
what are my options in HD's ? I'm keen on the IBM Deskstar due to its speed
which will give this old PC a bit of a boost. Is my only option EIDE ?

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org