From:
Howard Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:32:04 -0300
I find it amazing how many computers do not have SMART turned on!  I was
called out to  an English language school two days ago, the computer was
freezing up and sometimes just spontaneously rebooting.  The client was
experiencing data loss and the  computer could "see" the network but the
server could not "see" it!  After turning on SMART and showing the client
the message it produced on boot-up, I replaced the hard drive with a new
one.  This fixed all the problems!  I always, as a general rule, check all
machines to see if SMART is turned on.
Howard Rubin
Fortaleza, Brazil

Date:    Mon, 28 Apr 2003 19:14:11 +1000
From:    Ultra <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: What problems does SMART Diagnose?

SMART is reported by the HDD itself, and it indicate on hardware level, so
if you see any SMART error, stopping using the HDD, backup anything you want
from it, and get it repaired/replaced, it won't last long.

Jun Qian

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com