From:
"Joel M. Blackman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2001 07:22:36 -0700
Why add unnecessary hardware when there is software that can do the job?  Go
to www.magellass.com and download the free copy of Winboost 2001.  This
tweaker program (similar to Microsoft's Tweakui, but with more features) can
password all input, and can make your desktop disappear.  It will hide
control panel, find file, and everything else on your start menu.  There is
also Screenlock at www.igen.com that puts up a password protected
screensaver that locks down your computer to all but the most determined
hacker if you have inactivity for more than a preset length of time.  It
records attempts to break in.  Screenlock is shareware, and is probably
about $25  nowadays.  Winboost 2001 is freeware, but the paid for one ($25)
has more tweaks.  There are loads of such programs, check out www.cnet.com
and go to their download page for security.  I mentioned the above two
because I have Winboost 2001 Gold edition (paid for version), and used,
tested and reviewed Screenlock about a year or so ago.  Screenlock is a
little over the top for my home computer, and was not appreciated by my wife
and kid.  It should keep your hacker students out, though.  Using Screenlock
or something similar would be simpler and faster than Winboost as long as
you remember your password.

Subject: [PCBUILD] Keylock for Abit VP6?

Hi,
I teach high school and for security reasons always lock my computer with a
key when away from the box. I just built a new computer based on the Abit
VP6 motherboard and could not find a staked header for a manual key lock.
The predecessor board BP6 had the connection and I am lost without it. Is
there a work around so that I can splice or rig some sort of a key switch
to kill all input functions?