From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 12:06:03 -0700
Is Windows 2000 on a FAT(32) or NTFS partition? The answer to this will
determine how you should proceed. Personally I like to install Windows 98
on a FAT32 C drive and then install Windows 2000 or XP on either another
primary NTFS partition or a logical FAT32 "D" Partition. The order of
install isn't all that important. With NT4, the order of install was more
problematic. But 2000 and XP is better about this. What you are after, is
for Windows 2000 to act as your boot loader and present you with a choice
of what operating system to boot from.

Most windows 2000 computers will ship with a native NTFS partition. If it
is a native NTFS partition, then you will have to create a primary
partition to put the boot sector of ME on. Windows 9X or ME can not see a
NTFS partition.

Let me do this by example. First log on as administrator and make a
Emergency floppy for Windows 2000. This floppy will contain the
administrative access codes if you need to make repairs. Go to START...
ACCESSORIES ... SYSTEM TOOLS .....run Backup

Say you have Windows 2000 installed on a NTFS C drive which is your active
primary partition. You have no other partitions.
Create another Primary partition FAT32 and install Windows ME on that. When
you do this Windows 2000 may or may not notice. If it does notice it will
step in and become your boot loader offering you a choice of which OS to
boot from. Then your finished.

If Windows 2000 doesn't see your ME install, then after the change you will
boot directly into ME without a mention of Windows 2000. Nor will you even
see the NTFS partition after booting ME.

At that point start up the Windows 2000 install process. Eventually you
will come to a screen that says do you want to Install or Repair. Select
Repair.
It will ask you if you want 2000 to do this automatically, DO NOT select
this choice. Say you will do it manually. It will ask for that Emergency
Disk you made.
When the manual choices appear select ... Restore boot files /
sector....and uncheck everything else.
The repair will take exactly 2 seconds. Setup will then tell you to reboot.

When you next boot up you will be presented with a Menu asking you which
operating system you wish to boot.
Windows 2000 will now act as your boot loader.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group

You could create a logical drive "D" or use any existing logical drive and
install ME on it. You could also use a D primary partition but I don't
recommend this because it will effect your drive lettering.

ME would use your existing FAT C drive to put it's boot files on and

> >> An old program requires something that is not available in Windows
> 2000 but
> >> is available in Windows ME. How do I install Windows ME in addition to
> >> Windows 2000 (which will continue to be my main operating system)?

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com