From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:16:51 -0700
Check to make sure the power supply switch is "on" (not just the case
switch). The power supply switch is located on the power supply close to
where the power cord connects to the computer.

After checking the power supply switch, when you push the case power
switch, does the power supply fan come on, or any lights on the case or
keyboard come on, or any noise at all from the computer? If there is
some indication of life, post back what is happening, so you can get
further assistance.

If nothing at all happens, there are two likely causes. One - the power
supply has died. Two - the case power switch has gone bad.

In either case, you will need to open the case. Make sure you follow
proper grounding procedures when working inside the case. Since the
computer is a newer model, with the power cord connected and the power
supply turned on, there should be a small green LED lit on the
motherboard. If not, it is very likely the power supply is the problem.
If the LED is lit and nothing happens when the case switch is pressed,
you need to disconnect the wires for the reset switch and the case power
switch from the motherboard (refer to the manual) and connect the reset
wires where the power switch wires were connected. In essence, the reset
switch will temporarily be used as the power switch. ***Opinions differ
on unplugging the computer while working inside the case. I do while
changing any wire connections to the motherboard and other times I
don't.*** With the power connected and the power supply switched on,
press the reset switch. If the computer starts up (fans, hard
drives,etc.) than the problem is very likely the case power switch. If
nothing happens, than the problem is very likely the power supply.

The power supply is easy to replace. There are many retailers who sell
power supplies. For power supplies I use newegg.com. They are a
topflight dealer with a wide selection of power supplies at very
reasonable prices. I would get a 400 to 450 Watt power supply to allow
for possible future upgrades to the computer. The power supply is
normally held in place with 4 screws. If you have a cramped case, the
hardest part of the replacement process will be having room without
removing other components, or at least not too many. Study the existing
power connections (take pictures) so that you can redo the connections
with the new power supply.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, just post them.

Tom Mayer

carmen strickland wrote:
> E-machines t2885. I'm getting no power at all to the
> machine. Tried switching power cords and plugging
> directly into the wall instead of the surge, nothing.
>
> Monitor is still working and everything else plugged
> into the surge as well.
>
> I checked online and a few sources said power source
> gone bad, but that it's pretty easy to replace.
>
> How would I go about checking for sure, and then
> replacing it?
>
> It's 2.8 gig, 512 mb if that  has any bearing.

> http://mail.yahoo.com
>
>               The NOSPIN Group is now offering Free PC Tech
>                      support at our newest website:

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads