From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2006 22:19:39 -0700
On 24 Sep 2006 at 7:51, Christopher Gagné wrote:

> About a year ago I had an issue with my DNS resolving with the ISP I was
> with. Since that time I have moved and am now with a new ISP. I fixed the
> issue originally by going into some file on the computer and manually
> changing information (as a recommended fix). Since that time I have lost the
> instructions and do not remember what file I changed. Anyone have any ideas?

  The resolver can take several steps to translate a host name to an IP
address:

1.  Consult its cache of addresses recently translated -- this is automatic.

2.  Consult the "hosts" file; on Windows, this lives in
WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc.  It's a pretty simple text file; Windows comes
with a sample file (hosts.SAM) with comments which explain the format of
entries.  Note that to actually have an effect, the file name must be
"hosts" with NO extension.  This may be what you were thinking of.

3.  Query the configured DNS servers, in order.

  It's a popular misconception that because DHCP can supply the addresses of
DNS servers, you must use the servers provided by your ISP.  Not true -- you
may use any DNS server which will accept your queries and answer them.  Ever
since an ISP I used managed to foul up its DNS servers for several days,
I've been pointing my home machines at my work servers which have been
problem-free.
  This could also be considered a fix for your issue.

David Gillett

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>