From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 23:42:06 -0400
At 22:35 13-07-98 +0100, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>Twice in the last week I have had two different all-scsi systems (IWill
>boards with Adaptec 7800 series on-board chips) become unbootable.
>
>I can boot from floppy and read from the disks with no problem, but all
>I get on boot is a bios message "Booting 1. ......".
>
>I tried reformatting with PC-DOS and using sys c: to put the kernel
>files and command.com on the disk... but the disk will not boot.
>There is no evidence of a virus. Another hard disk will boot...
>
>What does the "Booting 1. ...." mean?

Could be that the "Booting 1. ..." message means that the SCSI BIOS
wants to boot from the drive with SCSI ID=1. If this drive does not
have an active primary partition, it will not boot.

You can change the boot drive to a drive with different ID from
the SCSISelect BIOS setup. During bootup, press <Ctrl><A>.
Whichever ID you boot from, the primary partition on the drive must
be marked "active" using FDISK or some other equivalent utility.

If you have not specified a SCSI ID for booting, it will probably
try to boot from the drive with the lowest SCSI ID.

I believe Russ Poffenberger made a similar suggestion regarding
this problem.

Regards,
Bill