From:
BS Computing <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 May 2002 15:40:43 +0200
<snip>

> Many PC have auto shut down built into the CMOS if the system
> get too hot.

I can understand the heat problem. What I can't understand is that the
machine had just booted and the machine switched off. The case was not
covered at the time as I was swapping HDD's between one PC and another and
trying out different things settings and basically making things a little
sweeter.

> The noise you hear from the the PSU is most likely the
> bearings or sleve
> going out in the PSU fan.

Will this have an effect on the heat and will it cause the PC to switch off
after only booting?

> If you are a builder you can
> replace the fan.
> You
> may have to snip & solder the new fan wires in if the PSU fan
> is hardwired
> to the the unit.

Mmmm ..... Thanks .... At this point I'd rather take the machine in. I'm
comfortable with most work inside a PC, but this is one area I'm not
comfortable with.

> You could also replace the PSU. I dont know
> what MHZ you
> system is but you may want to look at a small CPU cooler for
> the processor.

I'm running a P466 Celeron as standard (ie. not overclocked). Not sure what
its called, but the mobo is an ASUS that had the old Slot A I think it was
called. The Celerons at that stage used the socket, so the actual CPU sits
on a daughter card (converter). I've never had an overheating problem before
and it being almost Winter here in the Southern Hemisphere, there isn't any
environmental heat.

<snip>