From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 10:51:52 -0500
> We have 15 computers on a Local Area Network and we
> share resources such as printing. Unfortunately we
> unable access the printer and shared folders on a PC
> operating on windows 2000 especially from PC's running
> win 98 and 95. We are able to access shared folders on
> this PC from machines operating windows XP. Printing is
> almost impossible even from PC's with windows XP. You
> either receive an invalid password error message or
> wrong path.

        This is a common problem when mixing win9x and win2k based machines (note
winME is a win9x machine, winXP is a win2K machine). The reason is the way
shares are handled. With win9x share access is determined by the share
itself, you set up a password per share. With win2k access is determined by
the user, each share has users assigned to it. Accessing win9x resources on
a win2k machine is usually not a problem since win2k properly handles this
situation (it prompts for the password). Win9x machines however do NOT
handle the situation properly (and ask for a username and password). The
solution is to add the win9x users to the win2k machines and then add those
users to the shares they need. It is time consuming when dealing with
multiple users but must be done. Also make sure TCP/IP is bound to file and
printer sharing on EVERY machine and that "NetBIOS over TCP/IP" is enabled,
win2k machines don't always work properly with just NetBEUI on the network.
Hope this helped. TTYL

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml