From:
"Frank R. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 07:09:17 -0500
Yeah, this didn't make any sense to me either.  I just don't
believe that leaving the drive unpowered, but plugged into
the controller cable could nuke the disk.

Of course, Noel's the guy with the dead disk, so I guess
anything's possible, but I really have to believe that is was
an unfortunate coincidence, rather than cause and effect.

I'm planning to do a clean install on an old machine in the
next little while.  Maybe I'll try the experiment myself, when
the stakes are low.

Ultra <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> IDE cable doesn't carry power (without power, harddisk won't operate), I
> don't see any reason why this method would damage your harddisk. I've used
> this method all the time whenever I need to. I may change another removable
> kit if I were you, I feel there is something wrong with it.
> Jun Qian
> From: "Noel Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
> > All went well until one day I forgot to switch on the power to the bay
> before booting the system.  The system did not boot of course, and realising
> my mistake I powered the PC down, switched the drive power on and then
> powered up the PC.
> > Oh dear no system disk, in fact no disk at all, I was not able to get scan
> disk to even see the drive, in the end I had to re-partition and re-format
> the drive.
> > Need less to say I am now very very careful to make sure the drive switch
> is ON before booting the PC.
> > I do not know if it was a one of, I am not going to see what happens if I
> try again, and I definitely will not be trying the alternate switch method.

     Frank R.Brown
     Frank.R.Brown@MailAndNews