From:
James Maki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:10:18 -0800
I object to your use of the word "recent" in the paragraph
below. :-)  I have a FIC PA-2007 (which is no longer
made) that I purchased in October of 1997. It cached
greater than 64 MB without a problem! It depends on the
chipset and cache size (the PA 2007 had 1 MB cache
and used a VIA chipset). The old TX chipset did have this
limitation.

I have not yet entered the realm of Pentium II and III
computers/MBs, but I am fairly sure they are NOT limited
to caching 64 MB of RAM.

Just my 2 cents on a topic which has come up before.

Jim

> Just a side note. Not familiar with you particular mobo but I suspect, since
> only a few most recent mobos do, that your mobo will only cache up to 64 Mb.
> So actually adding more memory will cause you to take a 10 ~ 15% performance
> it. The reason for this is that Win9x loads its system from top down and
> therefor will be located in the uncached area of RAM. Since this is the most
> used "software", it will actually slow the performance down. The only reason
> I would think one would want more than 64 MB on a mobo that does not cache
> above that is if you are loading veerrrry large files, e.g. 80Mb graphics
> file, which would then be able to load into RAM and not have to access the
> hard drive constantly while working on it.
>
> How do you now if it caches more than 64 or what ever. Ask the mobo
> manufacturer.
>
> Daniel Wysocki
> Twin*.*Star Computers
> 770-498-2582 /800-816-0663