From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2006 13:20:19 -0700
I'm surprised XP even runs with only 160MB of RAM. If you go to the
Compaq/HP site and go through technical support for the specific model
of Compaq computer, you should be able to determine how much memory it
will accommodate as well as the type of memory. XP likes 512MB or more.
If you can, adding RAM is the easiest solution. If you can not increase
the RAM, than reverting to an older OS is appropriate. However, I found
that at least 256MB of RAM was needed for satisfactory performance of
even the older Window's OS's.

If you can, stay with XP. If you have to revert, in my opinion 98SE is
better than ME. Before reverting, save to a CD whatever data files are
important to your friend, such as the address file and the financial
file(s). Using a bootable floppy disk with the utilities on it, fdisk
and format the HD for a clean install.

I hope this helps.

Tom Mayer

SRS wrote:
> Hello All,
>> I am helping a friend out with an older computer(app 6 1/2 yrs old).
>> Compaq Pentium III 800 mhz processor, 30 gig hd Bus clock 133 mhz,
>> 160 mb DIMM,NTFS.  The machine came with Windows ME.  Someone
>> installed Windows XP Pro and it has slowed down considerably. He uses
>> it to pay some bills online and has very limited use.  He just wants
>> it back like it was.  Now come the questions. 1) Is the slow-down
>> because of the amount of memory that XP Pro requires? 2)  If so, what
>> is the correct procedure to uninstall XP Pro and re-install ME or 3)
>> is 98 second Edition better?
>>
>> thanx,
>> stephen r stanfield

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: