From:
Eric Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 17:08:48 -0400
At 11:53 AM 6/18/99 -0500, you wrote:
>    What does a cable modem look like ( architecturally ) ?  Is the
>cable that leaves the cable modem and goes to the Mac an ethernet cable
>, BNC or RJ45, 10 base or 100 base?

My unit has a cable line coming into it and a 10baseT (RJ45) cable out to the
NIC in my PC.  A warning however...on MY unit, I must have a crossover cable
between the modem and the NIC or it won't work.  Not sure exactly what @Home
requires, but you can look at the cable they installed and determine if it is a
"straight" cable or a crossover.

>What I'm wondering about is whether
>or not his Mac is already setup for Tcp/Ip.

It MUST be set up for TCP/IP protocol if he is doing anything on the Internet.

>If that is the case then I
>just need to purchase an ethernet card for the PC, patch cable and hub (
>plus Mac Proxy software ).  Would I need to get a 10 base or 100 base
>hub and network card?

Almost....you don't need a patch cable, but a "straight" cable from the PC to
the hub and another straight cable from the hub to the Mac BUT you will also
need a second NIC (Ethernet card) for the Mac.  The Mac will talk to the PC
through one NIC and the cable modem will talk to the Mac with the other.  The
the proxy software will allow the PC to talk to the cable modem through the
Mac.

You only need 10Mbit speed for the cable modem, but with the prices dropping
each day, it might be advisable to splurge for the 100Mbit speed now so you
don't have to pay later when you might need to upgrade.

Eric

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html