From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 01:19:52 -0700
On 14 Oct 2002, at 1:07, Michael A. Wosnick wrote:

> My wife and I currently have 2 computers in the same room connected to a
> single cable modem via Ethernet and a simple 4-port hub. I have 2
> separate IPs from my Cable ISP to accommodate two employers and 2 VPNs. I
> have no Internet access problems.
>
> I also have another computer upstairs in my daughter's room that I would
> like to give access to the cable modem and I want to go wireless to avoid
> running cables through the house.
>
> Can I simply get a two USB Wireless adapters, one for my computer and one
> for my daughter's computer and expect that I can give her cable modem
> access via one of the IPs and using Win2k ICS on my computer? Do I need a
> Wireless Access Point as well to connect to the hub, or can I just use
> peer-to-peer wireless to give her access to the modem and to files and
> printers attached to my computer? She does not need access to my wife's
> computer, so the notion of "bridging" to the hub seems unnecessary, but I
> confess I am confused about what I need to accomplish what I want in the
> simplest (and cheapest) manner..
>
> I would rather not go with routers etc since I have no assurance that our
> 2 VPNs would work in all cases. Is going for a peer-to-peer via two
> adapters (and no Access point or no router) going to work?
>
> Michael

  Many wireless cards can be configured to, with their host, serve as an
access point.  (My experience is mostly with cards costing about $120, and
at that price level the feature seems to be pretty common.  I know that
there are cards available at substantially lower prices, and this is the
sort of feature that I might expect to be eliminated to reduce costs.)
  Whether such a card would also work with ICS, I don't know.  To be safe,
I'd connect an external access point to a second Ethernet NIC in your PC,
and use ICS to provide Internet connectivity to that NIC and its attached
network.

David Gillett

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>