From:
"Kurr, Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 07:26:25 -0500
To check for a CPU failure, place the CPU in a known functional computer
(one currently running your same CPU if possible).  You might check BIOS
settings, such as L2 cache (read-thru, write-thru, linear or pipeline burst)
and memory settings (interleave, CAS, etc.), and try running at the minimal
(most conservative) settings.  Another way to check for CPU failure is get a
different CPU (same type if possible) and stick it in your system.
Martin Kurr
email [log in to unmask]
> From:         Ken & Barbie[SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
> Subject:      [PCBUILD] CPU failure?
> What I'm trying to do is confirm my suspicions with the CPU.
> As reported earlier, the system would lock on bootup every
> 4 or 5 times. This is a new system build that has never worked
> correctly.
> What I did was disabled the internal cache in the system bios
> for the Intel 233mmx cpu. I was able to successfully boot the
> system 30 times (yes, I worked hard on this one) without failure.
> Although it ran slow, it worked. I then enabled the cache and the
> system locked on the second boot.
> My question is this a reliable way to check for a failed CPU?
> Thanks in advance,
> From Ken Cornell

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html