Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 14:48:23 +1300
Better go and knock a bit harder, Robert - if you get this bug it can be
impossible to eradicate.

I've had it occur on customer's machines and I've tried every known fix
without success.

There are a couple of last-ditch workarounds: If the computer hangs, then is
switched off, THEN doesn't want to do a Scandisk on restart, it was ready to
shutdown.

So a physical shutdown is OK.  In this case, for PC which has a mechanical
OFF switch, swap the logow, logos sys screens by renaming them, so when the
screen says 'It's OK to switch off", it's actually the screen which says
'Windows is shutting down'.

(I remember the difference between these sys's as W for WAIT and S for
SHUT).

The other way, as someone else just pointed out, is to shut down to DOS,
then switch the machine off.

It's a little more elegant to use a prog like Shutdown.exe to do this.
Install it, create a shortcut to it on the taskbar, and in the shorcut
command line add '/msdos'. (no quotes)

Even better, for machines with electronic OFF switches, as most modern pc's
come equipped with, would be an application which, after it's button is
pushed, switches to DOS, waits a few seconds, then cuts the power.

If anyone knows of such an app, please let me know.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand

From: "Robert Lendrim" Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Subject: Shutdown problems.

> I've been using W98 since it first came out. I'm now using W98SE.
> There was a time when I had shutdown problems. I have added
> many patches and fixes over the years including the standard
> online Windows update. I have not had any shutdown problems
> for a long time now. So, while it does occur, I don't think it has to
> be a "way of life". I wish I could tell you what fixed mine.
> (Knock on wood)

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>